June – July Newsletter Volume 70, No. 6
Steve’s thoughts for the Season After Pentecost
Sermon excerpt from Sunday, June 5 in celebration of Pentecost Sunday…
The world rages mightily today with division, fragmentation and “othering.” We don’t need uniformity, but we do need more unity. We need more people throughout the earth today to celebrate and promote our common humanity and the common language of our existential equality as God’s diverse peoples.
This is what those first Jewish disciples, with the gift of the Holy Spirit, were doing on Pentecost and during the years that followed. May it be so today and may we be among those who passionately fan those flames!
In this season of Pentecost and in this month of PRIDE, may we celebrate and promote our common humanity and the beauty of all God’s diverse peoples.
Prayers of the Community
Please hold in prayer: Walt T, Penny and Howard M, Janet U, Katherine K’s granddaughter Esha, Shannon W., Diane Richardson’s cousin Mona, DebE M’s friend Sheila, Leslie L’s parents; Carolyn H’s sister; Ryan (husband of Steve R’s niece.) We Also pray for: An end to fighting in Ukraine. All who have been killed, injured and driven from their homes to refuge in other countries. Those affected by extreme weather events. Everyone struggling with loneliness, depression and isolation. All who have lost family to Covid-19 and other illnesses. Migrant farm workers suffering unfair wages and labor laws. Anyone experiencing pain and alienation: may you know that God loves ALL of us. May we find hope and choose to build healthy relationships within ourselves, with others, and with creation itself.
- Wednesday, June 15 – Elders Circle, 7 pm on Zoom
- Saturday, June 18 – Isaiah 58 Juneteenth Celebration
- Sunday, June 19 – Worship, 11 am in person and on Facebook live
- Monday, June 20 – Spirit Bloom, 7 pm on Zoom
- Saturday, June 25 – Compton and area Disciples booth at PrideFest, all day Downtown
- Sunday, June 26 – Worship, 11 am in person and on Facebook live, and Compton and area Disciples booth at PrideFest, all day Downtown
- Monday, June 27 – Spirit Bloom, 7 pm on Zoom
- Wednesday, June 29 – Cabinet, 7 pm on Zoom
- Sunday, July 3 – Worship, 11 am in person and on Facebook live
- Wednesday, July 6 – Board of Ministry, 7pm on Zoom
- Saturday, July 9 – Book Club, 1 pm on Zoom
- Sunday, July 10 – Worship, 11 am in person and on Facebook live
Longtime member, Audrey T, died to this life on June 3. A celebration in honor of her life will be held Friday, June 17, at 5 p.m. at the church. Our deepest sympathy goes out to Walt, to daughters Susan and Alyson and their children, and all other family. Audrey and Walt celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary on May 21.
We also extend our sympathy to Janet U on the passing of her mother, Mary, age 92, on June 8. Visitation was held on June 12. with services and burial to be in Arkansas on June 15. We hold both of these families in prayer.